Monday, May 17, 2010

Chapter 1. I Think... You Run Fast

What the hell was he doing here?. He just stood there looking at me and his lips were slowly turning into a smile. I tried to concentrate. "Saanko mä yhden mansikka juustokakun ja latten kiitos." (Can I have a piece of strawberry cheesecake and a latte, please.) I wrote the order down noticing how my hands started to shake. "Pieni hetki." (Coming right up.) I turned around and walked to the kitchen knowing that he watched my every move. Why was he here? I mean, come on! Why would anyone fly across the Atlantic to Finland after everything that happened?

Earlier...

Our first week in the US had been a success. All of our New York shows had been sold out. Naturally we were exited. It had been a long and hard process bringing our show to North America. Not to mention the fear of not being liked here. Our tour was expensive so every ticket sold was a huge relief.

We decided to celebrate our busy week by going to Central Park with picnic blankets and baskets full of bagels, fruits and soft drinks. Picnics are our tradition. We've had them in 17 different countries and now in 3 continents. "Hey ladies! We've survived New York. I believe we really earned this picnic, and thanks to Mother Nature we don't have to sit here in rain. So skool! (cheers)" Vicky said and raised paper cup filled with diet Coke. "Skool!" People who passed our loud and giggly group looked puzzled. We truly were crazy having a picnic in a chilly weather like this. It was colder than normally, at least according to that funny man who worked in our hotel. But we come from Northern Europe so a "cold" weather is not that big a deal.

Suddenly something happened: a guy with a black hoodie, grabbed my bag which was lying couple feets away from me. He started to run. "Oh no!" I screamed. My neckless was in the back. The chain had broken so I had put it in there not to loose it. It was a gift from my late grandmother. I jumped up and without thinking it through I started to run after the thief. "Netta!" the girls screamed after me, but I didn't even slow down.

Damn he was fast. With will power I started to catch him, but when he realized I was following him he increased speed. "Thief!" I screamed. People turned around but nobody tried to stop him. I noticed that the hoodie guy wasn't the only one being followed. Two guys were running right behind me and the other one grabbed my hand and stopped me. "Hey! What are doing?! Get your hands off me!" I screamed but didn't turn my eyes away from the hoodie guy who was now disappearing from my sight. "Oh man, you're pretty fast." a blonde tall guy said a bit out of breath. I turned towards him. I was extremely pissed off because I realized that there was absolutely no chance for me to catch the hoodie guy anymore. I pulled my hand away from the other guy's (dark brown hair) grip. It was quite hard for me to breathe, though I was in a pretty good shape. "Thanks a lot!" I said and turned away. I heard them chuckle. Idiots! I was so annoyed that I just had to turn back. "Who do you think you are! I could've caught him!" The guys got more serious now. The one with dark brown hair shake his head. "Oh I'm sorry for, most likely, saving your life or atleast saving you from a hospital visit." he said, and to me it seemed like he wasn't afraid of my mad stare. He just stared right back at me. "What are you talking about?" "Well, did it ever cross your mind that he might be carrying something. I don't know... like a knife?" I rolled my eyes and muttered: "Yeah right." The blond one tried to help his friend to make a point. "He could have stabbed you." These guys really irritated me. "Oh wow. You're true heroes. Knights in shining armors. Well thank you for saving my precious life." I said and dramatically curtsied.

1 comment: