Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chapter 3. I Think... He's Flirting with Me

Filippa looked surprised.

"What do you mean you you know him?"

i couldn't answer. I was so embarrassed. I just happened to make a fool of myself in front of someone who basically was the face of NHL! Oh how I wished I could crawl into a small hole and newer ever come out.

"Netta, who is he?" Filippa asked again curiously.

"No one. I mean you're from Denmark so you don't know him."

"How does me being from Denmark mean that I don't know him??"

"He plays hockey."

"Mmm... Well you do know that there actually are people in Denmark who play hockey."

"Yeah. And how many are there? 5?" I snorted.

"Very funny. But just for your information, your friends are walking towards us."

My heart literally skipped a beat. Filippa gave them a big smile. I, on the other hand, tried to look everywhere expect at them.

"Hi." Jordan Staal said smiling.

"Hi. Thank you for saving my friend today. She can be a bit dumb sometimes." Filippa said and I could hear from the tone of her voice that she was intentionally trying to tease me.

"Hey, that's what knights in shining armors are for." Sidney Crosby with a twinkle in his eye.

I could feel my cheeks turn red. Sidney "hockey god" Crosby was making fun of me.

"Are these seats taken?" Jordan asked.

Unfortunately for me they weren't taken.

"I guess they are now." Filippa smiled and the guys sat down. I kicked her under the table but she didn't even react. Just smiled like an idiot.

"By the way, I'm Sidney and he is Jordan.

"Nice to meet you both. I'm Filippa, but please call me Fippa."

They all turned to me expecting that I would introduce myself. Filippa gave me "a say something you dumb-ass" look. I shrugged.

"I'm Netta."

"Where're you guys from?" I mean I don't recognize your accents." Sidney asked.

I was sure he meant only my accent because atleast to me Filippa sounded like every other Scandinavian person.

"I'm from Denmark." Filippa told. They talked about that Metallica dude and that Danish model, Helena Christensen. I was almost convinced that they had forgotten my existence, but no.

"Netta, are you from Denmark too?" Sidney asked looking straight into my eyes.

That look, for some reason, made my heart beat faster and at the same time skip a beat. This was so weird.

"Um... No. I'm from Finland." I muttered.

I wondered why I couldn't act like a normal person. I felt that there was a huge IDIOT sign on my forehead. I sighed and continued trying not to mutter, stutter or just freak out.

"I grew up in Australia so that's why I sound so... um... strange I guess."

"I guess you're a mixture then." Sidney smiled friendly.

Yep. Mixture of pure dumbness and stupidity.

"She really is." Filippa said. She looked pleased for I was talking instead of staring at the tablecloth.

"I mean, her mom is a Swedish speaking Finn, her dad's "a regular" and she grew up inDown Under."

Ok. This was weird. Why were we talking about me so much? Filippa saw my discomfort.

"So what do you guys do for living?" she asked and Sidney and Jordan looked surprised.

"We play hockey." Jordan said and gave Sidney a look.

"Oh. That's cool. I come from a country where, according to Netta, are only 5 people who play hockey. So I know nothing about it. But I'm a huge sports fan, though." she chatted.

There is something extraordinary about her. When people are around her they smile more. Just like these guys.

"What about you guys? Why are you so far from home?" Jordan asked.

"We're part of a dance company, We're touring North America." I explained trying to keep my eyes only on Jordan. For reason he didn't make me feel like a total nut case. Maybe because he was a lot like my older brother: huge.

"What kind of a company?" Sidney asked still looking only at me.

If he wouldn't stop staring at me, I'd most likely hear Filippa singing "Can't Take My Eyes off You" for the rest of my life.

"it's a Scandinavian dance company, Movemental," I said quickly.

Filippa explained that we were a group of Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and Danish female dancers. We performed various dance styles and we had toured in Europe, Asia and now in North America.

"We're flying to L.A tomorrow." i said.

They seemed to be really interested in our job and they asked all sorts of questions. When the band played their last song Jordan asked if we wanted to have something to eat with them.

"I Was thinking about getting a hot dog." Filippa said.



We walked with hot dogs in our hands. For some reason Filippa and Jordan started to walk couple steps before me and Sidney. They talked about Jordan's Danish last name.

"You had a game here?"

I couldn't stay silent. It felt uncomfortable.

"Yeah. Last night. We were suppose to leave right after it but there was a technical problem with our plane so we're stuck here. But it looks like we'll be able to fly tomorrow morning."

"Was it a good game?"

He nodded and smiled.

"We won 2-4."

i smiled too. I didn't want to tell him how much I had wanted to go to last night's game. Of course I couldn't because of our show. I didn't want him to think I was a fan. Though I was. To be honest it was quite difficult not to scream or hyperventilate. I was walking next to a Stanley Cup champ. Not to mention that he was Sidney Crosby.

"I'd like to see you dnace." he said.

"I can assure you that you play much better than I dance." I laughed.

"You know what, I think you must be a great dancer." he said.

Oh why wouldn't he stop smiling at me like that.

"How come?"

"Well... the way you move. It's hard to explain. Even when you walk you look like you're dancing. And when the band was playing, and you just sat, it looked like you were dancing."

"My mom always says that my cells are dancing. I can't help it." I laughed.

"Well, it's certainly nice to watch."

He was flirting with me. He was flirting with me!

"I think that's a good thing. People who pay for the ticket to see us dancing probably wouldn't be that happy if I sucked."

I was so proud of my self. My voice didn't give anything away.

The same way as he had done earlier in Central Park, he grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Do you have a pen?" he asked.

He stood near me. I just nodded.

"Okay. Can I use it for a sec?" he laughed.

"Oh... Yeah sure." I almost whispered.

I gave it to him and for mu surprise he took my hand and wrote something on my palm. It turned out to be his cell number and email address.

"Just in case you need a knight an a shining armor." He said with a crooked smile.



In the middle of the night I had to get up. The only way to get him out of my mind was to get his number and email address off my skin. it took a long time to wash the inc away. Soap didn't work so I had to use Filippa's nail polish remover.

No comments:

Post a Comment