Monday, May 17, 2010

Chapter 2. I Think... I Know Him

We went back to our hotel after this incident. I was still really upset about my grandma's gift neckless. My roommate, Filippa, tried to cheer my up by singing every single Dolly Parton song that she knew. But even her out of tune versions couldn't completely bring back my happy mood. She gave up and started packing her stuff into two larger than life suitcases.

"Fippa, I really doubt that you can buy anymore shoes," I said while watching her effort to fit all her new 6 pair of high heels into her suitcase.

"Oh, be quiet! If I don't have enough room, your suitcase is half empty." she laughed.

"I'm not going to carry any of your shoes," I just said and yawned. I was lying on my bed and though it wasn't even dark yet, I felt exhausted. Luckily I had already packed this morning.

There was a knock on the door. Filippa stack her tongue out because I didn't make a move.

"You lazy-ass!" she sighed and opened the door.

It was Vicky holding something behind her back.

"Guess what? I have something that might cheer you up Netsie." she said with a proud smirk on her face.

"Did you find a cure to some illness? HIV maybe?" I said sarcastically. She snorted.

"Netta, honey. Shut up. I have two tickets!" she said with excitement in her voice. I was just about to mention something about plane tickets I had for tomorrow's LA flight, but she raised her finger as a warning.

"I mean it. Shut up! I have two tickets for a jazz concert. You know the add we saw yesterday. You said you'd love to hear them play. Well I worked my magic, and voila, got two tickets. You have exactly 45 minutes to get there. Fippa if you want to go with her, here's the ticket."

"How did you get these?" I asked feeling slightly better than just 30 seconds ago. Vicky looked genuinely happy knowing that she had done something to cheer me up.



The concert was held in a hotel's bar/lobby area. We took our seats at the table. I really loved the atmosphere. It was so cozy with all the candles and silent voices of the midtown around us. The band was amazing and their music really touched me. I was so relaxed that I hardly even noticed my soar muscles, which thanks to our busy show schedule, were a constant pain in the ass nowadays. At some point, Filippa started to move uncomfortably on her chair. I looked at her questioningly. She just shook her head, but I noticed how she quickly glanced over my shoulder. I turned slowly to see what was so interesting, but it wasn't the best idea.

"Oh great. My knights in shining armors," I murmured . I turned my head back. This was so unfair. There were thousands of bars and hotels, but they just happened to be in a same one with me. The two guys weren't alone. There were punch of other men with them.

Filippa bent over the table and whispered: "Nets, don't freak out but they are looking at you."

"Yeah right, they don't even know we're here. I mean there's now way they would even recognize me. " I snorted. I had to take another glance. Unfortunately my eyes met with the one who had dark brown hair. And then it hit me like a lightning:

"Oh my lord! I think I know him."

2 comments:

  1. Sidney?
    So I'm interested to see where this goes. It's such an honour to think that I inspired this, or at least motivated you to write. I look forward to reading about just what that means.
    So are they in some sort of Jazz group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this again, and I just had to point out that my roommate in Sweden was named Filippa too! What a coincidence. And it's so great that they're Finnish!

    ReplyDelete