Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chapter 20. I think...I'm in Seventh Heaven

As I had expected it was hard to have our phone dates ( Sidney called came up with that name) because of the stupid time zones. Even after my surgery, which forced me to stay at my parent's house doing absolutely nothing, we didn't find time. He was doing interviews and all sorts of campaigns in addition to his normal game schedule. Stupid Olympics! He was going to be on the team, though it wasn't official yet. He sent me messages apologizing for being too busy. I tried to understanding but frustration won my fake attitude sometimes. Usually when I was alone while my parents were at work. When they were home I tried to stay happy and concentrated on my recovery, because I didn't want them to be worried. Since my mom found out about me being in a relationship her stress level rose. She's a worrying type. I wanted her to think that everything was just fine, especially with Sidney. But I guess she knew I was faking it because she gave me all her weird looks and sighs.

But when he did call, I was in seventh heaven. His voice was so comforting that it made me forget that weren't sitting on his couch hand in hand. It made me forget my knee and most of all it made me forget all the frustration. I guess it was Friday when he called. It was almost 10 PM in Finland but he had just woke up from his pregame nap. He was still quite sleepy and sounded really funny and cute.

"Hey you." He said quietly.

"Hi!" I whispered for some reason. Maybe I didn't want my brothers, who were having their father-sons sauna and beer night, to hear me. I went to my bedroom, which by the way looked like a 10 year-old would live in there since I had all my childhood dolls and stuffed animals in there. I closed the door.

"Niksu and Noppa (Because they called my Tiny, I had come up with nicknames that had first irritated them but unfortunately they had grown used to them) are here. They just created the ultimate Olympics hockey team."

"Am I on their team?" He asked amused.

"No, they went old school. You know Gretzky and Kurri." I laughed and sat down on my bed. With my free hand I pushed my crutches onto the floor.

"Got to respect that." He chuckled.

For a while we didn't say anything. It was like neither of us found something to say, though there were million thing on our minds.

"Things are pretty crazy around here." He finally sighed.

"What's going on?" I asked suddenly feeling really tired not just physically but mentally. This long distance shit was almost too much for me to handle.

"Nothing that's not normal. I wish you were here though."

"I wish that too." I said it so quietly that he could barely hear me.

Damn, I wish it so badly that my whole body aches.

"Oh, I almost forgot. There'll be a delivery for you tomorrow morning. Are going to be home?"

"Where else would I be?" I laughed sarcastically.



Next morning when I woke up, there was a huge box on the kitchen table waiting for me. I guess the delivery man had come while I was still asleep and my parents had signed it for me before leaving for work. I smiled knowing that it was form him. I opened the box and saw a huge rose bouquet, similar to those which he had sent me when I was still touring and he was trying to make a good impression. There was also a note.

So you won't forget me.
Love, Sid.

I picked up the bouquet and found a vase big enough for it. I was about to put the box away when I noticed that there was something more inside. It was a small blue box, but to make it very clear, it didn't look like a ring box. It was slightly bigger. When I opened it I had to remind myself to breath. How did he get this!? My goodness! It was the exact necklace that I had lost in Central Park the day I had first met him. My grandmother's necklace. He hadn't just had it custom made to look like it. It was the exact same piece. I knew it because of a small crack. In the small box was also another note.

I guess this belongs to you.
Love, Sid

And I also found bigger envelope from the bottom of the big box. I slowly opened it, still feeling astonished at the necklace.

Dear Netta,

I wanted to show you that I'm serious about us. I'm serious when I say that you can trust me. I want you to know that I would do anything for you and I hope that my gift showed you how much you mean to mean. Being far away from you is hard but it sure does beat being close with someone else. Now I want you to call this number so you can get my real gift. It's a selfish gift, but hope you'll like it anyways.
Love, Sid

I took my cell and dialed the number he had wrote down. For my surprise a travel agency answered. The lady told me that there was a reservation for me.

"Okay... What kind of a reservation?" I asked puzzled.

"You'll fly from Helsinki to New York on Monday." She said and tried to sound very professional though I could hear from her voice that she was quite curious.

"On Monday!" I almost screamed. I pitied her ear.

"Yes, on Monday. And there seems to be a message for you attached to your booking. Let me see..." I could hear her clicking the mouse and typing something.

"...Yes, here it is. You should not be worried about anything since there will be a personal physiotherapist waiting for you and a very talented doctor with lots of experience in sports injuries."

Oh wow! I guess I don't have to take this long distance shit much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment